Youth Cricket : Mid-Season Highlights
U11 Girls V Chippenham Arrows 11/07/22
I hope you and your children are all enjoying the cricket season and have had a chance to watch the youth training or matches in the sunshine at some point.
Highlights from the season so far
We are really pleased to see our membership grow significantly this year and we now have over 230 youth members and All Stars.
Marshfield Youth members have done us proud in all the festivals, Bath and District Youth League, Wiltshire Youth League and friendly matches showing great determination and some fantastic cricket skills.
- The U9 team that went to the festival in Westbury won all three of their matches and the U9 festival at Marshfield was well attended and it was wonderful to see so many children enjoying playing cricket.
- U11 girls have really risen to the challenge this season with two teams that have played hardball matches. This is a first for the club and we must have more U11 girls playing hardball than any other club in Wiltshire. A couple of the girls also helped the U11s win their T20 match last weekend.
- U11 boys are building on their successful 2021 season. They are playing in the Wiltshire T20 league for the first time this year and haven’t lost a match yet and only lost one match in the Bath & District league.
- U13 girls have shown consistent improvement in their cricket skills this season and have enjoyed playing in the matches so far with one narrow loss and one resounding victory.
- U13 boys are playing in a league with some strong competition this season and are really getting into their stride; after a few losses at the start of the season they have recovered well and are now sitting in the middle of the league table.
This is a fantastic achievement and is only possible because of the army of volunteers supporting the youth section, both behind the scenes and coaching. It would be helpful if parents could remind youth members that the coaches are all volunteers giving up their time on a Friday evening to train them and they deserve to be treated respectfully and a “thank you” at the end of the session would be appreciated!
To keep up with the growth in membership, we are planning to enter more teams into the leagues next year. If you like to plan ahead, generally U11 and U15 matches are on Monday evenings and U13 on Tuesday evenings!
The highlights of the season so far wouldn’t be complete without mentioning our Senior sides. The First XI is performing well in their league and they are great role models for our youth members. It would be great if any of the girls are able to watch Lauren playing hardball cricket in the Second XI to inspire them to persevere with hardball cricket! I would encourage all youth members and their families to come along and watch our Senior teams playing on a Saturday at Marshfield, especially if the sun is shining, and the bar is always open on match days!
Plans for the rest of the season
The Friday evening sessions will continue throughout the summer holiday and coaches may adapt the sessions to suit the numbers attending. The last training session will be on Friday 2 September.
Summer holiday matches
Throughout the summer holidays we are pleased to offer a weekly mixed hardball friendly for U11 boys and girls on Monday evenings and U13 boys and girls on Tuesday evenings. There will also be a U13 boys friendly on Tuesday 19 July. A massive thank you to the coaches that have volunteered to cover these matches to make this possible.
Anyone that would like to play in a match should send a What’s App message to their training group by Sunday evening before the match so that the lead coach is able to share details with the coach running things. The matches will all take place in Marshfield on the artificial wicket. Please arrive no later than 5.45pm for a 6pm start.
U11 dates: Mondays 25 July, 1, 8, 15, 22 and 29 August
U13 dates: Tuesdays 25 July, 2, 9, 16, 23 and 30 August
In addition, there will be two U9 softball matches on Wednesdays 24 and 31 August at 5pm. Please let your U9 coaches know via the What’s App group if you would like to participate in these matches by no later than the Sunday evening prior to the match.
Robbie’s summer camps
Robbie Joseph is offering two different summer cricket camps at Marshfield Cricket Club:
1. Robbie Joseph Cricket Summer Academy, 9am-1pm. Intensive hardball skills and game play sessions open to hardball competent U11-U15s.
i. Boys Tuesday and Thursday
ii. Girls Wednesday
Camps will run every week from 12 July to 1 September. Sessions are booked individually and cost £35 per session. There is a £5 discount for any subsequent siblings. To book email:
2. Fun In The Sun Camp, 9.30am-3.30pm. Softball, skills and game-based sessions open to U9-U11s. Year 2 children may be able to attend by special request.
i. Tuesday 26 July
ii. Wednesday 27 July
iii. Tuesday 16 August
iv. Wednesday 17 August
Children will need to bring a packed lunch. Sessions are booked individually and cost £45 per session. To book email:
The Youth Awards will be on Friday, 9 September at 6pm for all age groups. We hope that you are able to join us to celebrate the many achievements this season.
We are developing our plans for winter training. We are hoping to run winter training again on Friday evenings from mid-November until the end of March for hardball groups and from January to March for the younger age groups. Further details will be shared before the end of August.
- Parking – we have had a few issues with people climbing over the walls and thank you for your support to stop this. We are dependent on the good will of the farmer to be able to use his field for parking on a Friday evening and without this we would not be able to have so many youth members.
- New Pavilion - you can see details of the Club’s exciting new pavilion project on the dedicated website at https://marshfieldpavilion.co.uk/.
- Teamwear - Sporting Billy in Chippenham are the club’s suppliers of teamwear (link to their website SportingBilly).
Finally, if you have any issues, ideas or suggestions please let me or your child’s coach know.
I hope you enjoy the rest of the season.